Looking for something new to read? Great new comics arrive at local shops every Wednesday. Here are some highlights of new comics for October 16 2019 to sample.
New Comics for October 16 2019
The books below are merely the ones that I plan on reading or might point out to friends new to the hobby. To see everything out this week, check out the Diamond Comics New Releases list for Wednesday October 16 2019.
This Week’s Highlights
Item: Back in 1982, monthly sales of the Saga of the Swamp Thing comic were poor, and the title was scheduled to be canceled. A little-known writer from the UK named Alan Moore was assigned, and given free reign to do whatever he wanted to the dying title.
The result was amazing. Moore threw everything we thought we knew about Swamp Thing out the window, and turned the title into one of DC’s best selling horror comics ever.
For the first time ever, this historic run is being properly reprinted in a series of Absolute editions, beginning with Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore HC Vol 01.
Item: I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that Gideon Falls #17 from Image Comics marks the start of a new story arc. This is a gorgeous monthly comic to look at. It’s also creepy and intense in all the best ways.
At a high level, Gideon Falls is a story about the legend of the Black Barn – an otherworldly building alleged to have appeared and reappeared throughout history, that brings death and madness in its wake.
Rather than suggest you jump in at #17, I’ll point out how easy it is go get caught up on issue #s 1-16 – which are collected into the three volumes below.
Vol 01 is a great way to read the first arc for only $10. If you like it and keep going, Vol 3 debuts on the 16th as well – just in time to get #17 – since you’ll be hooked.
Item: In case you’ve been in hiding, Marvel’s X-Men line had a BIG reset over the summer courtesy of writer Jonathan Hickman. Now that the stage is set, it’s time for all the new X-Men books to start coming out.
The “flagship” will be X-Men #1 – written by Hickman himself – described as the “saga of Cyclops and his hand-picked squad of mutant powerhouses!”
Rumor has it each 40-page issue will be one-and-done. Though Cyclops will be consistent, teams will be different for each issue – with members selected for that issue’s mission.
My Pull List
These are the books I’m buying this week:
- Absolute Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol. 1 HC Vertigo Comics
- Gideon Falls #17 Image Comics
- Last Stop on the Red Line #4 Dark Horse Comics
- Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #4 DC Comics
- Trees: Three Fates #2 Image Comics
- X-Men #1 Marvel Comics
In addition, there are a whole bunch more first-issues to try…
This Week’s #1’s (Comic Book Premiers)
- Absolute Carnage: Avengers #1 Marvel Comics
- Amalgama Space Zombie #1 Action Lab Comics
- Crazy #1 Marvel Comics
- Cult Classic: Creature Feature #1 Vault Comics
- Killswitch #1 Action Lab Comics
- Lady Death: Nightmare Symphony #1 Coffin Comics
- The Marked #1 Image Comics
- The Mask: I Pledge Allegiance to the Mask #1 Dark Horse Comics
- Metal Men #1 DC Comics
- My Dog Ivy #1 Uncivilized Books
- Pink Lemonade #1 It’s Alive
- Robotech: Remix #1 Titan Books
- Spell on Wheels 2 #1 Dark Horse Comics
- Spookhouse Halloween Special #1 Albatross Funnybooks
- Superman Smashes The Klan #1 DC Comics
- Tales From The Dark Multiverse: Batman: Knightfall #1 DC Comics
- Wonder Woman Giant #1 DC Comics
- X-Men #1 Marvel Comics
Want More New Comics?
That wraps my highlights of new comics for October 16 2019. I try to call out new books on my radar each week in the New Comics thread.