Attention readers! New comic titles arrive at your local comic book shop every Wednesday. Here are highlights of noteworthy new comics for October 23 2019.
New Comics for October 23 2019
The books below are merely the ones that I plan on reading and/or pointing out to friends new to the hobby. To see everything coming out this week, check out Diamond Comics New Releases list for Wednesday October 23 2019.
This Week’s Highlights
Item: Back in 2015, writer Jeff Lemire and artist Dustin Nguyen launched their series Descender. It ran for 32-issues, and even got a movie deal. While we wait for that, the followup series – Ascender – hits issue #6 this week (below). Image is making it easy to get caught up by simultaneously releasing Ascender Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy TP, which collects #’s 1-5 under one cover for only $10 bucks.
Item: Facsimile Editions are a bit of a thing these days. These are near-exact replicas of classic key issues at affordable prices. Some worry (and for good reason) because these actually sell better than many “new” comics in some instances. Never the less, this week’s Dollar Comics: Swamp Thing #1 (DC Comics) gives you the opportunity to experience a classic Swamp Thing book for only 80 cents more than the original cover price.
Item: Writer Al Ewing has turned his Immortal Hulk series into one of Marvel’s best selling titles. This is one hell of a horror title – home to all kinds of Crazy – as evidenced by Immortal Hulk #25, in which we begin a new story arc that kicks off billions of years in the future! This 56-page monster could be a great place to hop on for new readers.
Item: Invisible Kingdom Vol. 1 TP (Dark Horse Comics) caught my eye early on for several reasons. in case you missed it the first time, you can get caught up with this collection of the first five-issue arc. Not only is this part of Dark Horse’s Berger Books imprint (always worth your attention), but it’s from G Willow Wilson – creator of Marvel’s Kamala Khan (a.k.a. Ms. Marvel). Not into superheroes? Give this book a shot.
Item: So Marvel re-booted their X-Men line over the summer. In the aftermath, every week brings a new X-Men title for a little bit. Last week saw the arrival of X-Men #1. This week see’s the debut of Marauders #1. So – time to get in on the X-Men now if you’ve ever been curious.
Item: Spider-Man: Life Story TP (Marvel Comics) collects all six issues of Chip Zdarsky and Mark Bagley’s alternate take on Spider-Man’s life – one decade at a time.
57 years have passed in the real world since Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider. So what would have happened if the same amount of time passed for Peter as well? Each issue of this series takes place in a different decade – beginning in the 60’s, and wrapping up as a 72-year-old web-slinger is about to embark on his final adventure!
In addition to the books above, look at all the first-issues to try this week:
This Week’s #1’s (Comic Book Premiers)
- The Amazing Mary Jane #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Amazing Spider-Man: Full Circle #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Betty and Veronica Friends Forever: Supernatural Stories #1 (Archie Comics)
- Beyond the Demon, the Sea #1 (Source Point Press)
- Black Adam: Year of The Villain #1 (DC Comics)
- Count Crowley: Reluctant Monster Hunter #1 (Dark Horse Comics)
- Disney Manga Kilala Princess Mulan #1 (Tokyopop)
- Dollar Comics: Swamp Thing #1 (DC Comics)
- Future Fight Firsts: Luna Snow #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Kaijumax: Season 5 #1 (Oni Press)
- Marauders #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Money Shot #1 (Vault Comics)
- My Dog Ivy #1 (Uncivilized Books)
- Pink Lemonade #1 (It’s Alive)
- Secret Life of Pets #1 (Titan Books)
- Unbound #1 (Zenescope)
My Pull List
I’ve put myself on a budget, so of all the new comics for October 23 2019, these are the books that I’m buying from my pull list this week:
- Action Comics #1016 (DC Comics) – I was going to drop this series with this issue, which is the last of a 2-part arc. Instead – I’m hanging on through #1020 so I can get in on the upcoming reveal of Clark Kent as Superman.
- Ascender #6 (Image Comics) Beginning the 2nd story arc of this sequel to Descender. See above.
- Batman: Curse of the White Knight #4 (DC Comics) – All these Batman mini-series by top talent. For not being a Batman fan, DC’s sure found my weak spot.
- Immortal Hulk #25 (Marvel Comics) – See above. I’m actually removing this from my pull as of this issue. Purely budgetary, and my 25-issue run is most-likely bound for eBay. I’ll surely be tempted to pick this up again should it ever appear in Omnibus form.
Want More New Comics?
That wraps up my highlights of new comics for October 23 2019. I try to call out books on my radar each week in the New Comics thread.