Every Wednesday die-hard comic readers hit the shops for the next chapters in their favorite stories. Check out Diamond Comic Distributors for a complete list of this week’s books, then check out my list of favorite new comics for Feb 12 2020 below.
New Comics for Feb 12 2020
As always, I like to begin this column with a high-level view – with an eye toward the new-comer. Which books might provide a good jumping on point? Which are (or might be) significant for other reasons? To that end…
Items of Note
In addition to the comics on My Pull List and This Week’s # 1’s (both below), these items also stood out:
- Animal Man by Grant Morrison Book 1 TP – Grant Morrison revitalized Animal Man much in the way Alan Moore revitalized Swamp Thing – back in the day. Here’s your chance to enjoy it today!
- Spider-Man Miles Morales Omnibus HC – I was a follower of all-things Miles Morales for sever years until Brian Michael Bendis left the title. Though pricey, new-comers will find this mountainous book is a great place to catch up on Miles’ beginnings.
My Pull List (Comics I’m Buying)
Because I reserved them in advance, this week will find the seven books below waiting safely for me behind the counter at my local comic book shop:
- 20XX #3 (Image Comics) – I’m picking this up solely because it’s from Jonathan Luna, the creator of Alex and Ada. Rather than “wait for the trade” (ugh), I’ll be letting the “floppies” pile up, then binge on the whole stack once it’s done.
- Ascender #9 (Image Comics) – This is the sequel to the series call Descender – which is coming to the big screen courtesy of Sony Pictures. Do yourself a favor and read it before you see it. The first story arc is collected under one cover and called Descender Vol 1 Tin Stars. Ask for it at your local comic shop – is priced around $10.
- The Batman’s Grave #5 (of 12) (DC Comics) – I’m not a big Batman fan, but I’ll pick up pretty much anything written by Warren Ellis. Adding artist Bryan Hitch to the mix is like frosting on the cake.
- Blackwood: The Mourning After #1 (of 4) (Dark Horse Comics) – I was a fan of Evan Dorkin when Milk and Cheese was first hitting the stands. I also enjoyed the first Blackwood miniseries from 2018. I’m picking up both covers for this first issue, and DO count me in for the remaining three issues in the run.
- The Clock #2 (of 4) (Image Comics) – This one caught folks by surprise last month, and I got lucky with my store’s last copy. Contagious cancer, with art by long-time favorite Colleen Doran? I’m in!
- Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs HC (Dark Horse Comics) – This film from 2018 caught me by surprise and stuck with me in unexpected ways. I’m not a big manga reader, but bringing this story to the format feels like the perfect treatment and I can’t wait to read the tale in print.
- Wonder Woman #751 (DC Comics) – I know nothing about what’s going on with Wonder Woman, but as of last month’s #750, DC is seemingly setting/resetting things in its overall canon – so I thought I’d stick around for a story arc or two to see what happens. Stay tuned!
This Week’s # 1’s (Jumping-On Points)
- Air War Stories #1 (It’s Alive)
- Alienated #1 (BOOM! Studios)
- Argus #1 (Action Lab Comics)
- Barbara the Barbarian #1 (Amigo Comics)
- Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P. #1 (DC Comics)
- Beware Witch’s Shadow: Happy New Fear #1 (American Mythology)
- Blackwood: The Mourning After #1 (Dark Horse Comics)
- Canopus #1 (Scout Comics)
- Carson Of Venus: The Eye Of Amtor #1 (American Mythology)
- Cat Shit One #1 (Antarctic Press)
- Death To Army The Of Darkness #1 (Dynamite)
- Ghost Wolf #1 (Amigo Comics)
- Green Lantern Season Two #1 (DC Comics)
- Gwen Stacy #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey #1 (DC Comics
- Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club #1 (Dark Horse Comics)
- Marvel Action: Spider-Man #1 (IDW Publishing)
- Miss Fury #1 (Dynamite)
- Napoleon Dynamite Valentine’s Day Special #1 (IDW Publishing)
- Nebula #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Screaming Horror #1 (Fantaco Enterprises)
- Shriek Special #1 (Fantaco Enterprises)
- Spirits of Ghost Rider: Mother of Demons #1 (Marvel Comics)
- Star Trek: Year Five – Valentine’s Day Special #1 (IDW Publishing)
- Superman: Heroes #1 (DC Comics)
- Tartarus #1 (Image Comics)
- Transformers: Valentine’s Day Special #1 (IDW Publishing)
- Undone by Blood or the Shadow of a Wanted Man #1
- Unholy Bastards Vs The Future #1 (Albatross Funnybooks)
- Yang Gang #1 (Keenspot)
As always – please visit or call your local comic shop before purchasing online.